Pardon us if we go on, but at Penns Woods Winery we’re proud to make this unique varietal into award-winning wine. Traminette was born in the 1960s at Cornell University, a cross between Gewurztraminer and Joannes Seyve. Allow us a geek out moment: this late mid-season, cold-hardy white is a winner because it grows well on the East Coast and has good resistance to several fungal diseases—plus it tastes divine.
All this caught the discerning eye (and palate!) of our president and winemaker Gino Razzi. When you pair a good clone with a great winemaker, the rest is delicious history.
“Traminette gives you Gewurztraminer’s aromatics and Joannes Seyve’s elegance,” Gino explained. “It’s drinkable now, but ages extremely well; in four years it’s magnificent.”
Curious about Traminette? Here’s what you’ll experience when you try it at our Tasting Room:
- Soak in the beautiful yellowish-straw color. Remember, your wine-drinking experience starts with what you see.
- Inhale the sweet smells of honey and lemon zest.
- Savor the part off-dry, somewhat sweet wine with hints of citrus and pineapple.
- Enjoy the clean, crisp and minerally finish thanks to subtle acidity.
- Pro tip: White wine isn’t just for summer sipping! Traminette is one of our whites that drink well throughout the year.
Penns Woods Winery is a family-run Pennsylvania winery. With more than 40 years of experience in the wine business, winemaker Gino Razzi and his daughter, Carley Mack, produce award-winning wines from Pennsylvania-grown grapes. Penns Woods wines can be found in restaurants throughout Philadelphia and its surrounding suburbs. Stop in to your local state store and pick from a limited selection of wines, or visit our tasting room for the full offering. The tasting room in Chadds Ford provides an all-around vineyard experience and hosts live music, food and wine pairings and other exciting events each weekend. Score Penns Woods Winery news in your inbox by signing up for our newsletter today!