We love hosting pairing events at Penns Woods Winery (more on that later!), but we want you to know you can experiment at home with great results. We’ve got a few tips and tricks up our sleeve that we’re willing to share, yet we encourage you to try different combinations and see what pleases your palate.
Wine also teases us with virtually every flavor profile imaginable: mild fruits, sweet honey, bold berries, savory vanilla, even smoke and leather—and so much more. No wonder it’s the perfect partner for multifaceted chocolate.
- Taste with purpose: take a small sip of wine, then a bite of chocolate. Let the chocolate start to melt in your mouth, and then take another sip of wine.
- We highly recommend pairing complementary tastes, so pair wine according to the chocolate’s darkness.
- In most cases, choose a red wine, as those varietals stand up to chocolate’s nuanced flavors. Select a softer wine with rounder tannins for lighter chocolates. Pick a bolder, full-bodied wine for darker chocolates.
- But feel free to break the rules: some white wines have what it takes to match chocolate sip for bite.
- Pro tip: While most chocolate offers sweetness in some way, you don’t have to pair chocolate with only sweet wines. Dark chocolate, in particular, begs for something with bigger tannins and some acidity.
Bancroft Riesling and Milk Chocolate
Cabernet Franc Reserve with Dark Chocolate
Bancroft Cabernet Sauvignon with Chocolate and a Coffee (or Espresso!) Infusion
Chambourcin with Chocolate and Nuts
Bancroft Moscato Rose with Chocolate and Fruit
Chardonnay Reserve with White Chocolate
Merlot Reserve with Chocolate Desserts
Come Pair with Us
We hold irresistible pairings at our tasting room throughout the year, including our February wine and chocolate pairings each weekend. If you’d rather savor the flavors with a special someone (or a group of wine and chocolate enthusiasts) in the comfort of your own home, stop by and pick up a flight of Tradestone Confections’ sultry chocolates and just-the-right Penns Woods wines. Our friendly tasting room staff stands ready to assist.
Penns Woods Winery is a family-run Pennsylvania winery. With more than 40 years of experience in the wine business, winemaker Gino Razzi and his daughter, Carley Mack, produce award-winning wines from Pennsylvania-grown grapes. Penns Woods wines can be found in restaurants throughout Philadelphia and its surrounding suburbs. Stop in to your local state store and pick from a limited selection of wines, or visit our tasting room for the full offering. The tasting room in Chadds Ford provides an all-around vineyard experience and hosts live music, food and wine pairings and other exciting events each weekend. Score Penns Woods Winery news in your inbox by signing up for our newsletter today!