Wow those at your table with this firm-fleshed white fish. It boasts a pleasingly mild flavor perfectly accented by the ingredients you use to cook it; plus, its texture is ideal for slicing thin for this recipe.
We chose our food-friendly (and award-winning!) Penns Woods Winery Grüner Veltliner to create a temping marinade for our ceviche. This dry wine’s bright acidity and hints of apple, lime and white pepper are accented by jalapeno, green apple, grapefruit and cilantro to render versatile mahi-mahi mouthwateringly delicious.
There’s about a half-bottle of Grüner Veltliner in the recipe, so be sure to bring home enough for sipping, too. Enjoy!
Grüner Veltliner Mahi-Mahi Ceviche Recipe
- 2 cups Penns Woods Winery Grüner Veltliner
- 1 grapefruit, segmented
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1 pound fresh mahi-mahi fillet, sliced thin
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the Penns Woods Winery Grüner Veltliner, grapefruit, jalapeno and apple. Season with salt.
- About an hour before serving, add the mahi-mahi and apple cider vinegar to the bowl. Allow the fish to marinate in the sauce.
- Before serving, garnish with cilantro, olive oil and sea salt.
Recipe courtesy of James Capone, Drexel University’s Food Lab. Photography by Alexandra Whitney Photography.