When you sip Penns Woods Winery Bancroft Cabernet Sauvignon you’ll get soft flavors ripe with earthy tannins and savor hints of raisin and black cherry. These deep notes complement the brisket while the wine’s subtle tannic characteristics melt the meat to fork-tender in the oven.
This recipe is a show-stopper at parties and holidays yet simple enough for a weekend meal. Enjoy!
Cabernet Sauvignon Braised Brisket Recipe
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (10- to 12-pound) beef brisket
- ¼ cup salt
- ¼ cup mustard seed
- 2 (750 ml) bottles Penns Woods Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 cups beef stock
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large roasting pan, arrange the onion, carrots, celery, bay leaves and garlic in an even layer.
- Place the brisket on top of the vegetables and rub with salt and mustard seeds.
- Pour the wine and beef stock around the brisket. Cover the pan with foil and place in the oven for 3–4 hours, or until the center of the brisket reaches 160 degrees F.
- Place the cooked brisket on a serving platter, cover with foil and allow it to rest.
- Skim the fat from the leftover roasting liquid. Pour the vegetables and the cooking liquid into the bowl of a blender. Puree the vegetables to make a sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the brisket into thick slices and serve with the vegetable wine sauce.
Recipe courtesy of James Capone, Drexel University’s Food Lab. Photography by Alexandra Whitney Photography.